Thank you so much to TBR & Beyond Tours, as well as the author and publisher for giving me a copy of ‘Hot British Boyfriend’ in exchange for an unbiased, and honest review!! This is my stop for the tour, and you can click the banner below to view the full schedule, and explore other posts!!
Title: Hot British Boyfriend
Author: Kristy Boyce
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Publication Date: February 9, 2021
Trigger Warnings: Ableist Language, Mentions of Lung Cancer
Final Rating: 4.5 stars
Synopsis (via Goodreads):
After a horrifying public rejection by her crush, Ellie Nichols does what any girl would do: she flees the country. To be more precise, she joins her high school’s study abroad trip to England. While most of her classmates are there to take honors courses and pad their college applications, Ellie is on a quest to rebuild her reputation and self-confidence. And nothing is more of a confidence booster than getting a hot British boyfriend.
When Ellie meets Will, a gorgeous and charming Brit, she vows to avoid making the same mistakes as she did with the last guy she liked. Which is why she strikes up a bargain with Dev, an overachieving classmate who she’s never clicked with, but who does seem to know a lot about the things Will is interested in—if he helps her win over her crush, then she’ll help him win over his.
But even as Ellie embarks on a whirlwind romance, one that takes her on adventures to some of England’s most beautiful places, she still needs to figure out if this is actually the answer to all her problems…and whether the perfect boyfriend is actually the perfect boy for her.
Top 5 Reasons to Read Hot British Boyfriend by Kristy Boyce
5. All the travel. I think something I’ve really missed during the pandemic, is travelling, because that’s something I did with my family a ton. Seeing all these touristy spots, and all the magical places described in the book, made me nostalgic for when travelling was possible. Although I haven’t been to Venice, I go to the UK very often, because I have lots of family living there, so reading this book helped me remember some of my favourite places, and definitely gave me new to visit to!!
4. The strong friendships, and relationships. Although the romance between Ellie and Dev was so cute 🥺💛 and in this book, the friends to lovers was taken to an entirely different level, something I enjoyed even more, were the platonic relationships on the side. I loved that although there was a romance, the friendships weren’t overlooked, and were also developed with as much care. Seeing all the friendships thrive was definitely one of my favourite parts of the book, and honestly, because I loved them so much, I would re-read this book for the friendships alone.
3. The Fairy Gardens. I think when I was in like 1st grade, I read about Fairy Gardens in a book, and I was OBSESSED. When I went to London that summer, I spent literally the whole time, collecting twigs and flowers to make Fairy Gardens in our backyard, and I remember being so dejected, when the rain would spoil them. Ellie’s passion for creating Fairy Gardens was so interesting for me to see, and because it’s such a unique hobby, I loved seeing how it played out in affecting her characters personality.
2. The themes and messages about finding yourself. Hot British Boyfriend definitely ad such great exploration of what finding yourself truly meant, and that’s something I adored. Seeing Ellie realize that before she finds someone to be with, she should find out who she is first was so heartwarming, and relatable. I say this because I know that for everyone, at some point in their life, they don’t know who they are, and we all take breaks just to find ourselves again, which is something that reflected so deeply in this particular book.
1. The banter. So, you may know that banter is one of my favourite tropes in YA fiction, so seeing it in Hot British Boyfriend, I was over the moon. The banter between Ellie and Dev was SO wholesome, and definitely one of my favourite parts in the book! While reading this novel, I was definitely caught laughing out loud multiple times, and am also guilty of flipping to the pages full of banter, and re-reading them to my hearts content.
Interview with Kristy Boyce, author of Hot British Boyfriend!
Ahaana: Tell us a little something about yourself and your book!
I am an American social psychologist, wife, mom, Anglophile, and writer. Hot British Boyfriend is my debut YA romance and it’s about finding true friends, self-acceptance, and love!
Ahaana: What was the inspiration behind Hot British Boyfriend?
It was inspired by two things: my psychology background and my love for England. I wanted to explore self-acceptance, but also write about a main character who is in an unfamiliar location where no one knows her. This gives her the opportunity to act differently in order to fit in, but then she has to deal with the repercussions of that choice.
Ahaana: What is your favourite scene or moment in Hot British Boyfriend?
My favourite scene is probably the quiet scene in Venice between Dev and Ellie when they get lost and find themselves at a small canal alone. A similar thing happened to my husband and I when we visited Venice and I still remember the narrow canal and how the water lapped up at the base of a green door on the opposite side. (My photo from Venice is below.)
Ahaana: Do you remember the first book you ever wrote?
Oh yes. How could I forget?! I wrote the same book from elementary school through high school. It was a fantasy about an enchanted forest in the middle of barren land. There were trolls that sucked the magic from the edges of the forest and the main character had to save a boy from the trolls and protect her kingdom. It was very bad and I still love it very much. ☺
Ahaana: What are your favourite books or authors?
This is always such a hard question!! Okay, first Stephanie Perkins. I love Anna and the French Kiss, but I actually think I might love Isla and the Happily Ever After even more. Kasie West books are auto-buys for me. There are so many YA romances I love, including When Dimple Met Rishi, I Wanna Be Where You Are, and Field Notes on Love.
I also love YA fantasy. Maybe my all-time favorite series is the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor. It’s unbelievably gorgeous. I also love Cassandra Clare, Sabra Tahir, Leigh Bardugo, and Maggie Stiefvater, among many others.
Ahaana: Describe/give a summary of your book entirely in emojis!!
👩🏻😍😩😭 ✈️ 🇬🇧 👱♂️😍📚🥴 🌆✈️ 🇮🇹🧑🏽🦱😍😬✈️👱♂️😰🧚♀️ 🌸 👩🏻🧑🏽🦱😍❤️🤩
About the Author
Kristy Boyce lives in Columbus, OH and teaches psychology as a senior lecturer at The Ohio State University. When she’s not spending time with her husband and son, she’s usually writing, reading, putting together fairy gardens, or watching happy reality TV (The Great British Bake-Off and So You Think You Can Dance are perennial favorites)
JOIN THE GIVEAWAY (US ONLY) TO WIN A FINISHED COPY OF HOT BRITISH BOYFRIEND BY KRISTY BOYCE!!
ENTER THE GIVEAWAY ➡ HERE!